This Mayan Woman has a Story

This Mayan Woman has a Story
Building a masonry cookstove for this family was a joy. We heard her story and cried.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Labour Strike That Wasn't

Thursday, February 24, 2011

My age is showing today. We are advised to stay home. Marg and I heed this advise.

Sarah weighs the risks and goes to the "feeding station" nevertheless. She helps Hilmar with the shopping and, once again, offers an art class after lunch.

It is a day off for me.

Guatemala City is under siege today, we are told. It is a labour vs. government face-off. And the risk of violence is real.

Teacher training for "Planting Seeds" was scheduled to take place in the Community House today. it was to be an early start. I was really looking forward to seeing Susan in action, and videoing her teaching style to share with Marlene at the Forest Preschool. I am hoping that it will happen before I leave on Wednesday.

 Observing 24 ECE teachers...most with very little training...would be remarkable for me; me who spent 18 years of her life as a daycare provider, caring for the children of others as if they were my own, loving and worrying about their well-being every day.

I am keen on having the Forest Preschool concept explained/initiated here. I would love to have Marlene and Susan in the same room. I feel a partnership brewing.

Marg goes into town after lunch and picks up our laundry. She runs in to Jackie and Joanie. What are the chances? They have lunch together and catch up on the happenings since we parted company in San Pedro. I, on the other hand, stay home and write. This blog has become very important to me. It is documenting of my days and weeks that I don't want to forget; details that are thick with emotion, reckless hope and loving despair.

Having someone do my laundry is my guilty pleasure. I try not to think about some poor Guatemalan woman scrubbing my unddies and tired old "Salvation Army" jeans in her "peelo".

Sarah, Marg and I make dinner. It's a messy, disorganized last minute affair. Marg takes charge. I'm her sous chef. I try not to over-talk and lose focus...haha. Sarah turns the apples and mangoes into a gooey, sweet concoction, and when all is said and done we practically lick the serving dish clean. We serve rice, chicken and vegetable stir-fry with green beans in an Indonesian peanut sauce. We break from tradition and serve it late. We eat by candle light.

The other guests leave early in the morning. We try to make their last night relaxing.

No news is good news. The strike never happens. The violence is put on hold. We all breathe a sigh of relief and plan to be on the bus to Comino Seguro in Guatemala City at 7:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment