This Mayan Woman has a Story

This Mayan Woman has a Story
Building a masonry cookstove for this family was a joy. We heard her story and cried.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Day Off

Monday, February 14, 2011

It may be Valentine's Day, but I feel anything but warm and fuzzy,

I fell asleep as Sarah was getting up. She fills my water bottles for me and covers my freezing body with her super warm sleeping bag. On my millionth trip back from the smelly bathroom  I run into Tom who gives me an electrolyte mix to add to my water. Several stove builder's are sick. Tom's fatherly advice is welcome. The dietician's warning to stay hydrated is always in the back of my mind.

Tom also offers to take my ATM card to the big mall and try the machine there. I still have not had any luck accessing money at an ATM. I email Scotiabank to ask for their help but they haven't got back to me, which is incredibly disappointing. What if I had been here alone?

I am sad to miss a day of stove building. I am one of three who don't make it today. Catherine marks, a traveller from the UK takes our place today.

Around noon I wake David up and we find Renny and go for a walk to the square. A cup of mint tea makes me feel nourished, cared for.

There are couples among us but Valentine's Day this year is more about commeradrie. No one makes a big deal about the Hallmark holiday. We find Royale Paris and seat ourselves at the largest table among a dozen tables for two. Xela is alive tonight. Music wafts into the streets. Lights and cars and the incessent honking add to the rythmn of the night.

I don't overdo it at dinner. I know this is key. I order vegetable lasgna, heavy on the veg and light on the noodles and sprinked with chicken. I eat half, saving room for an orange tea and a chestnut square.

My clothes suggest that I have lost wieght on this trip.

Sorry, no pics today! I travel light...

No comments:

Post a Comment