This Mayan Woman has a Story

This Mayan Woman has a Story
Building a masonry cookstove for this family was a joy. We heard her story and cried.

Friday, February 4, 2011

February 2, 2011...posting late because Internet access scarce

My feet are still in the air. Shoeless. Snazzy  MEC socks (thanks Marjorie!). But my head is in the clouds…literally and otherwise. We’re almost in Miami. The woman next to me is wearing purple and turquoise flip flops accented by bright blue toe nails. And shorts. People! She is wearing shorts! (Sorry, I just had to say that!) I’ve stripped off two layers but my look is more hippyish than sun whorshipery.
Ang, I put your scarf on last night after work and haven’t taken it off. Well, not true, I took it off to go through customs…along with my belt and incredibly cushy new Trailhead hiking boots, sweater and bags…I love this scarf. It reminds me to be a free spirit; to dream large and to dance wildly, softly, boldly. This scarf reminds me to be more Ang-like.
Already I have decided that this travelling thing is what I am meant to be doing. Marg’s sister has connections at a school in Uganda. I could go there. Her stories of Russia in the Fall give me pause. What about Vietnam?  Oh, how I want to go to India.
Sajan and Shaukat if either or both of you are reading this I want to know everything about your homeland. Direct me. Inform me. Help me plan.
Is it acceptable etiquette for a YOUNG 52-year old gal to get rid of her “stuff” and couch surf while she builds up a travelling nest egg? Ok ok no sane person would want my meager collection of things…But I have ideas that are worth something…to someone…perhaps…

9am in Guatemala City…Arrived in Miami at 3pm as our TACA flight pulled out. Air Canada managed to book us on an American Airlines flight leaving at 6:20pm. Too easy you would think. Almost  3 hours and lots of walking and rudeness from American Airlines employees (yikes…rudeness extraordinaire…I would never travel  with them again).

No comments:

Post a Comment